My name is Sonia Taneja and here I am sharing my story that “how I become a cyclist and champion”. It was around five year back when I was 102 kg weighted. I tried a lot to reduce.
In the start, I started to run around 200m and walk and repeated the same. Later on, I was able to run 3km continuously, and on weekends, me and my husband usually run for 6 km and I noticed that the stamina increasing gradually., At that time, I started to run 11km on weekends and reduced around 20 kg in five months. We tried a lot to reduce my weight and after some months we started to ride cycle for the very first time and we rode around 28 km. It was not a good experience in first and we quit.
after a few months in a new gym, I joined a new group, where everyone purchased cycles for weekend fun ride like 15 to 30 km from my city Sonipat to murthal dhabas. From here in 2017, I started cycling for fun only.
3 years ago, in our city a cycle race organized and I participated in that race, fortunately I won my race and received a cycle in prize, in Sonipat Oct 2017 (12km ). So I started my cycle journey from here. I did one race in Rohtak unfortunately I got a flat Tyre in the race. After few months from some sources I got a picture of Gurleen Kaur, the famous Mtv cyclist in Delhi NCR. I decided to meet her and she invited me for a race in Gurugram. In that race my competition was actually with her itself and I was so nervous about to win this race.
she was awesome in every way but after race I realized I m not bad too. I put my whole effort to win the race and got second after Gurleen. The race was held on NatureFresh Gurugram Criterium, in 2018 September. After the inspiration, I decided to take cycling passionately and participated in many races.
every Sunday I went to events and won many races. Approximately 16 in Delhi NCR and nearby states. Some Duathlon and one international race in Phuket and with the help Gurleen I got a chance to make Guinness world record even. I am ready for SR series , around 200 300 km and I did in 2018, the very first time 200 km to complete in 8 hours.
It's all about cycling and on the other side I usually practice for running 21 km and now I can run. I won a gold medal in national power-lifting too before cycling.
Now my ambition is to go for national competition and I'm practicing on it. After that I took cycling as a passion. Participated in many races.
Achievements / Awards
- In November 2018 won first prize in New Delhi Duathlon Olympic - 5 km running 40 km cycling 10 km running
- In December 2018 - Won one international race in Thailand of 110 km and secured first place in my age category
- In December 2018 - Won MadOverBiking race on KMP and secured 2nd place in 100 km cycling.
- In Jan 2019 - Won 40km cycle race in Rohtak and secured 3rd place.
- In Feb 2019 - Won ran the city chapter cycle race of 40 km , secured 3rd position.
- In March 2019 - Made Guinness world record on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of CISF in Delhi (Single line Long distance cycling).
- In March 2019 participated in Bhakra Nangal 100 km race in Himachal and secured 3rd place in my age category.
- In March 2019 - Won lakshya race of 100 km and secured 2nd position.
- In April 2019 - Won MadOverBiking race on KMP 30 km and secured first place.
- In may 2019 - Won Duathlon Delhi organized by the bike shop and secured first place.
- In may 2019 - Took running and cycling as challenge and
secured 2nd rank in cycling in all over India by riding 1458 km in May month.